Dear MHIMA Members.
Over the last year, a thorough review of MHIMA Policy & Procedures as well as our Bylaws has occurred. This analysis was completed to ensure that all items contained the most up-to-date information and that all cross-referencing within these documents was appropriate. As a result of this review, the following bylaw amendments are being proposed for change.
• MHIMA went “green” a few years ago, and converted many items to electronic format. The following bylaws have had the words “electronic” and “repository” replaced throughout to better conform to this this practice:
o 4.5 Failure to Pay Dues
o 4.6 Expulsion
o 4.11Quorum for Elections
o 5.4 Election and Term of Office
o 6.2 Election and Term of Office
o 6.7 Duties of Directors
• The Board felt it was important to be specific that any person pursuing a position, needed to be a member of the state of Michigan. The following bylaw was changed to reflect this:
o 5.3 Qualifications – amended to reflect this change
• MHIMA no longer maintains or produces paper records. All meetings are recorded and maintained in a transcribed format in an online repository. All business materials and artifacts are also maintained and distributed electronically. MHIMA is green. The following bylaw was changed to reflect this:
o 13.1 Books and Records – Amended to reflect electronic document repository
• Since Central Office Coordinator performs most of the functions of a Secretary/Treasurer, the Board felt the position was more focused on strategy and decision making for both the State and Foundation. Consensus was to re-title this the Finance Officer and have it consistent throughout our documentation. The following bylaws were changed to reflect this:
o 5.10Waiver of Notice
o 6.1 Officers
o 6.6 Duties of the Finance office
o 8.2 Finance Committee
• Every year we had Committee Chairs, Strategy Managers and Project Managers and used them interchangeably without any real definition. We decided that the committees that are defined in the Bylaws or ran by an elected position will be Committee Chairs. All others will be Project Managers.
Finance Committee – Finance Officer
Student Concierge – 1st Yr Director
Annual Mtg Chair – 2nd Yr Director
Project Managers (Appointed)
The following bylaw was changed to reflect this:
o 8.1 Committees
Please review the bylaws changes at the following links for more in-depth review.
The proposed bylaw changes will be voted on during the Annual Business meeting on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 9:00 am, Port Huron Convention Center, Port Huron, Michigan.
Michael R. Rant, RHIA