Lake Huron MHIMA Conflict of Interest Form
Please review and sign the online Conflict of Interest form. This form must be completed annually for all volunteer positions within LHMHIMA. If you have any questions please reach out to directly to the President and/or Secretary.
Conflict of Interest
A potential or actual conflict of interest exists if a component regional association (CRA) officer, or all other volunteers might reasonably lack objectivity in their decision making or performance for the CRA because of any business, professional, financial or other interest or relationship they have. Non-exhaustive lists of the kinds of situations which can give rise to conflicts of interest include situations in which:
- Personal business opportunities are offered to officers or all other volunteers which might otherwise be opportunities for the CRA, or if the officers or all other volunteers are asked to make decisions for the CRA on business opportunities that might otherwise become their own business opportunities
- Officers or all other volunteers are involved in businesses that compete with the CRA
- Officers or all other volunteers serve on decision-making bodies of other professional or trade associations whose policies or goals may conflict with those of the CRA
- Officers or all other volunteers desire to contract to provide goods or services to the CRA
- Officers or all other volunteers are asked to make decisions for the CRA with respect to business dealings with persons with whom they have substantial business, professional, financial, or other relationships
Total avoidance of any potential conflict of interest, however remote or tenuous, is not a realistic goal. However, it is the responsibility of all CRA officers or all other volunteers to:
- Raise for consideration any significant potential or actual conflict of interest
- Avoid any significant actual conflict of interest
- Abide by decisions that are made by the Board of Directors concerning such matters.
If any component regional association officer, or all other volunteers believes that a conflict of interest may arise or exist with respect to themselves or others, they should disclose the situation to the President (and the President-elect in the case of the President) at the earliest possible date. The matter shall be resolved by a majority vote of the Board.
If an appropriate set of conditions for accommodating the potentially conflicting activity cannot be agreed upon, the officer or all other volunteers will be asked to refrain from the activity. Refusal or failure to abide by a decision regarding a conflict of interest may result in sanctions to an officer, or all other volunteers.
An appropriate level of confidentiality shall be accorded to information obtained in the course of review of potential conflicts of interest and disclosures of such.